The Iribe Initative for Inclusion and Diversity at the University of Maryland, College Park is pleased to offer an AI4ALL Summer Camp experience at the University of Maryland.
AI4ALL is a three-week long, residential computer programming and artificial intelligence (AI) summer camp at the University of Maryland. Nationally, the purpose of AI4ALL is to increase the presence of underrepresented populations within the field of AI. Students will come away from the camp knowing how AI can be used to help people and an idea of what kinds of careers there are in AI.
**For 2020, AI4ALL will be a virtual experience. ***
The camp will be offered to rising 10th, 11th, and 12th graders. Students will be exposed to personal growth, education, and hands-on experiences presented by faculty, guest lecturers, and University of Maryland students.
This program intends to create a more inclusive and diverse field of artificial intelligence by targeting and serving underrepresented communities. Students will be given the opportunity to use artificial intelligence to address problems of a probabilistic and numeric nature. Participants will explore the field of AI through team projects, industry field trips, and presentations from guest speakers. There will also be opportunities to engage with faculty, staff and researchers who have been leaders in AI. Students will be exposed to a breadth of knowledge in the field with the goal of leveraging AI for social good.
The program will focus on three aspects:
- AI education and inspiration
- Personal growth
- Hands-on research experience.
The AI4All summer camp at the University of Maryland is part of a larger AI4All initiative. You can learn more about the initiative here:http://ai-4-all.org/
Typical Camp Day
- 7:30-8:30am: Breakfast
- 9:00-12:00pm: Classroom Instruction on AI*
- 12:00-1:00pm: Lunch
- 1:00-5:15pm: Classroom Instruction and Project Work Time
- 5:30-6:30pm: Dinner
- 6:30-10 pm: Evening Team Building Activity and/or Group Project Time
*Field trips and guest speakers are scheduled during Classroom Instruction time blocks.
For 2020, AI4ALL will be a virtual experience. Normally, Lab Meetings will take place in the Brendan Iribe building.
- Formal AI education curriculum instruction by a local AI high school teacher
- Guest Speakers by UMD professors and industry professionals
- In-depth introduction to ongoing research projects from faculty
- Field trip to AI industry leaders where students are introduced to people, topics and career opportunities
- Discussions lead by experts in career and personal development
- Small group mentoring with AI faculty and graduate students
- Social events with peers
- Small-group research project led by faculty or graduate students; projects focus on using AI for societal good
- Group presentations showcasing work at the end of the program
For 2020, AI4ALL will be a virtual experience. Program participants will be staying in the Greek Life Community Houses located on campus. Two Resident Advisors will be assisting with housing accommodations.
Check-In: Sunday, July 12th, 1-4pm at Greek Life Community Houses
Check-Out: Friday, July 31st, evening after closing presentations at Greek Life Community Houses
- Applicant must be able to attend all three weeks.
- Applicant must be a rising 10th, 11th, or 12th grader.
- Applicant will be required to submit family and student information.
- Financial Assistance is available for those with displayed need by completing our Scholarship Application.
- Must submit academic transcripts (unofficial transcripts are welcome for application review).
- Emails for teacher recommendations are required.